Fashion fabric designer/maker

Monday, 21 January 2013

BLOOD RED SHOES: Water EP write up / totally fan girl-ing


I first heard Blood Red Shoes when I went to Leeds Festival in 2009 - well, actually, just before that, as I went through a list of the bands playing and listened to the ones I liked the sound of. Thank God their name caught my eye that day. I was intrigued, and on the Thursday night when the festival began I went down to the BBC Introducing stage and watched 3 other bands before BRS came on... they weren't a patch on Laura Mary Carter and Steve Ansell's dynamic and power on stage and on instruments. I can't even remember their names now. I was with my friend Matt and we fought our way to the front to be astounded by their punchy and straight-up loud songs from their excellent Box of Secrets album. We were literally buzzing with excitement afterwards and that gig pretty much solidified their place in my heart as one of my favourite bands.

I've followed (stalked) them avidly since, and I've seen them a lot of times. In 2010 I saw them in Manchester and they were AMAZING. We were young and so excited, and my friend Jacob got up on stage and pulled Laura's guitar lead out by accident - I remember her taking it so well and not being angry in the slightest. They had something awesome; the VOLUME and the power from just the two of them astonishes me to this day. We were all infatuated with Laura Mary Carter's paradox of completely effortless cool and shy kindness, and Steve's cheeky, loud & downright exciting demeanour.
Last year (2012) I saw them play in Glasgow and they were, once again, insane. In Time To Voices is an incredible album. I went with my friend Aby, who is wonderful and fun and always up for a good time - we ended up meeting Steve & Laura, having photos and then drinks with them... then 4am noodles in a Chinese. I totally fan girl-ed; it was so my idea to get the photo - can you blame me?

Glasgow, 2012

Manchester, 2010 (photo my own)


And we've reached this point: their new 2013 EP - Water. It's perfect. The artwork is so so good (I'm yet to find out who/where its from - let me know if you know!), and it totally sets the scene for the excellent piece of music that it is. The crunchy, grungy (I hate the word grungy, but it really is) guitar at the start of Black Distractions sort of sums up Blood Red Shoes' growth over the years. From the electric Box of Secrets to the compelling Fire Like This, they have retained their edge for In Time To Voices and Water, yet they've changed - you can hear the maturity in their music. But it's still energetic, it's still gutsy and it is most definitely still so dynamic. And I'm most definitely still head over heels... with the both of them!




Photo via Blood Red Shoes 

Photo via Blood Red Shoes 

 Photo via Blood Red Shoes

Photo via Blood Red Shoes 

Photo via Blood Red Shoes 

Photo via Blood Red Shoes 

Photo via Blood Red Shoes


No comments:

Post a Comment